Sam Paonessa AOCA, OSA
The credentials of Sam Paonessa are in lengthy testament to his in depth study of the arts, achievements, which make for an outstanding artist and instructor. Born in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
AOCA – Associate of the Ontario College of Art OSA – Accepted into the Ontario Society of Artists
Sam Paonessa Biography Education:
- Graduated from The Ontario College of Art , Communication Arts Dept. 1979
Awarded the Canadian Art Sudio Scholarship upon graduating providing employment experience working in five recognized commercial art studios in Toronto for one year.
- Attended Daniel Greene Portrait Workshop, Rochester New York, 1996
- Attended Ovanes Berberian Landscape and Still Life Workshop, Idaho, 1997
- Plein Air Painters of America, Bennington, Vermont, 2001
- Plein Air Painters of America, Old Lyme, Conneticut,2003
- Academy of Realist Art, Toronto, Oil Portrait Painting Alla Prima, Juan Martinez, 2005
- Academy of Realist Art, Toronto, Oil Painting from the Figure , Fernando Freitas , 2008
Sam Paonessa Biography Career Experience:
- Following the working scholarship , was hired by one of the participating studios
- TDF Artists Ltd. as Junior artist 1980-1983.
- Freelance illustration since 1980 creating editorial illustration for magazine and educational publishers such as; Chatelaine, Canadian Gardening, City and Country Home, Nelson Publishers, Scholastic and Motherword.
- Featured in Studio Magazine, July 1992
- Featured in Multi- Art Magazine, January 2011
- Employed at Hallmark Card Canada as illustrator 1983 to 2014
- Created over 500 paintings that have been reproduced as greeting cards (Painters of Canada Series), calendars and other retail product.
- Client projects include The Brazilian Ball, The Opera Ball, National Parks Canada, Canada Post and the Toronto Metropolitan Zoo.
- Currently working as an artist and art instructor
Sam Paonessa Biography Awards and Recognition:
- International Plein Air Painters 2005, Honorable Mention, Oil Category
- International Plein Air Painters 2006, Second Prize, Quick Draw event
- International Plein Air Painters 2007, First Prize, Quick Draw event
- Accepted into the Ontario Society of Artists, 2009
- Canadian Brushstrokes Magazine, , Honorable Mention, Oil Category, 2010
- Finalist for 2017 Canada’s 150th Anniversary- My Canada Coin Competition
- Fourth Line Theatre Award Cavan Plein Air Painting Event 2016
Sam Paonessa Biography Artist Statement:
“I am a professional artist who has enjoyed a creative career spanning over 35 years.”
“Initially as a junior illustrator at TDF Artists, one of Canada’s largest commercial art studios and then at Hallmark Cards Canada in roles of illustrator and later art director. Being employed at these companies provided valuable experience and opportunity to create paintings and designs for greetings cards, calendars, ornaments and a wide variety of products for retail market.”
“I am an artist inspired by great art, artists, loved ones, the ever changing seasons and landscape, and endless life subjects.”
“As a plein air artist, the challenge of plein air painting is especially gratifying as I paint my admiration and reverence for the magnificent beauty of every season designed by the Creator’s hand.”
“I constantly work to develop my character, my faith and my skills to be the artist and person who will inspire others.”
© Copyright 1985 - Creations Art Gallery & Framing Studio | All rights reserved.